This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

TPN Executive Committee Members

According to this post, the IET are "recruiting" TPN (Techincal Professional Network) Executive Committee Members

The article explains what TPNs are, what the IET are looking for, and the benefits - but it does not what is involved, nor the expected time committment.

I'm sure I am not the only one curious, so rather than email IET Towers, I thought I'd ask here :-)

www.theiet.org/.../tpn-skills-required.cfm
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Andrew,

I don't think there is a standard answer that I can give you! Each TPN is quite different and the leadership will have different expectations from Exec members.

I would say that the minimum for most of them is four meetings per year (normally two in person and two teleconferences), but that's not true of all TPNs. On top of that it would really depend on what you go involved with, for example developing event programmes, contacting speakers, online engagement, TPN roadmapping, developing partnerships etc.

A TPN's success is generally relative to the time and effort put in by the Exec committee. Theoretically, it is also possible for people to join the committee and put in zero time or effort, but it's likely that they will find themselves getting kicked off by the Chair! Think of the online application form as the start of a dialogue if you're really interested.

Surajit - it's a peer review process. The existing committee will look at applications against their skills matrix. They will also think about reputation and potential access to contacts, but there's no real formula for this and they do have complete autonomy.