This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Share Your Goals - Write It Down - Make It Happen

In this blog, I write about how writing your goals down means that you're more likely to achieve them.

You can easily record these in your own personal records in Career Manager, but if you keep them to yourself you might just as easily let deadlines slide or find excuses not to get things done.  We all know that things get in the way, which means we put things like career goals in last place behind the simpler things in life like the day to day tasks of 'getting the job done' - this isn't a bad thing necessarily because we are accountable to our employers, clients and customers for these tasks whereas with career goals you are only accountable to yourself.  The question is - who is more important in the longer term in terms in your career and life goals?

If you want to have a higher level of accountability with your career goals, then as well as writing them down you can share them.  Like choosing to run a marathon, plan a once in a lifetime trip or writing a novel you can find a group of people to share those ideas with.

-  If you want to run a marathon, you may join a running club or ask a friend to train with you.

-  If you are planning a trip you'll ask others for ideas, read tripadvisor (or similar) reviews or lonely planet guides.  You'll ask friends where they went, or what they might recommend.

- If you're planning to write a novel you might join a writers circle or participate in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

So, this is your group to start sharing your goals - or if you want to keep track of your ideas then start your own discussion topic and keep it updated.  This community has over 1400 members who can keep you on track and give you the same thoughts and ideas and most importantly motivation to meet your goals.
  • An Example of how to share your goals (feel free to edit or add your own style)

Kathryn's Goal -

What do I want to achieve: 
    To Practice My Presentation Skills and to Gain Confidence in Training settings

How I will achieve this: Use the opportunity of Mentor Training Webinars to practice skills and gain feedback from delegates

When will I achieve it by: Aligned to Appraisal, so due by end of the year (with review in the mid-year)

• Pauls Goal -

What do I want to achieve: four things....

• To attain my fellowship status now I am chartered.

• Mentor at least 10 colleagues or apprentices to full CEng status and fellowship over time.

• Help improve individual electricians lives my helping industry governance identify why teh individual competence of on site guys is slipping in places!

• Get published in wiring matters!

How I will achieve this:

• I am speaking to fellows and receiving good guidnace and positive advice.

• Already working on it with three colleagues!

• I can only hope individual professional registered electrician schemes take flight and registed companies commit to CPD of all their staff including agency!

• Finsish the article I started.

When will I achieve it by:

• I want to acheive the submission by year end.

• Application for these three will be in by year end.

• Time and positive appliaction and support to all parties and eventually all will by into improving a weathered industry.

• Next few months

Kathryn is right, write it down, get it done
  • HUGE update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Just gained my fellowship... in orbit over that goal!

• Got published in wiring matters with another two articles on the way!

• Now mentoring 5 people for registration and mock interviewing others!

This thread really worked for me... the ladies at the IET are all truly wonderfull.

The Next goal? Chief engineer of the universe?

Nah I'll take IET president instead... anything between here and there is a huge bonus to me..

This has just motivated me to make it my lifes mission to get as many sparkies and lads on teh shop floor up standing up, contributing and making a difference to the industry and their own lives....

Oh and one more goal...not for me for the IET.
    • STOP BS 7671 being revised ever three years, OR.. make it free for all to use...what a difference that would make to the industry, trade and sparkies...

I dare you. Be bold. Give back IET!

#HaveFaithInTheIET

#E5

#FreeRegsForAll
  • That's excellent news, Paul.

I did a presentation to a really enthuasiastic group of Power Academy students a few weeks ago, so I'm on my way with my goal and I have two more training sessions booked in later this month.  I'm also going to start a small project looking at whether or not we can use Skype for training, so that should keep me busy.

I find writing goals down has worked for me too.  I'm hoping this will be the start of something wider for the communities platform.

Maurice - I would love to see photos of your model railway when it's done - I love seeing model train set ups that people have developed :)

• Update on my goals:

I ran my first CPD webinar last week, really good group to get inspired about CPD with.

We also recently published a version of this webinar ready for whenever people want to view it, so I learned a lot from shadowing one of our professional skills trainers in setting it up.  (Check out her work at: https://events-emea1.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/1292389444/en/events/catalog.html)
  • sorry i missed your presentation, was busy doing my own..

next goal... get a multi-institutional CPD app developed, WITH OR WITHOUT The IETs help

• Kathryn Bain:

Update on my goals:

I ran my first CPD webinar last week, really good group to get inspired about CPD with.

We also recently published a version of this webinar ready for whenever people want to view it, so I learned a lot from shadowing one of our professional skills trainers in setting it up.  (Check out her work at: https://events-emea1.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/1292389444/en/events/catalog.html

It's been a while since I updated this post, just to mention that this goal has definitely happened for me now I'm working full time in a training role :)

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Well done.