This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is professional registration transferable between institutions?

I was asked this question recently. Supposing someone achieves professional registration (CEng in this case) with one institution then changes membership to another institution, is registration maintained, or is it necessary to reapply for CEng status with the new institution? Furthermore, how welcoming are engineering institutions of people who change institution?
  • It is possible to transfer membership and professional registration between institutions.  I've copied the below from the registration pages, to ensure it contains all the details.

If I want to transfer my professional registration from another institution, what do I need to do?

You can request to transfer your CEng, IEng or EngTech professional registration from another UK professional engineering institution to the IET. You will need to ensure that your Engineering Council, subscription payments are up to date. In order to transfer your professional registration, you must be a member of the IET. For more information about applying for membership, please visit the about IET membership page.

You will need to submit extended CV to show your career history, with the last 5 years in detail to demonstrate technical attributes and maintenance of competence and commitment, evidence of past CPD carried out and evidence of planned future CPD for a minimum of three years, which has been verified by a supporter who is preferably familiar with the content of your work, such as your line manager. A transfer fee is payable upon submission of your CV. Your CV will be peer assessed by registered engineers who are IET members. These members are not IET staff, but volunteers who have been trained for this purpose. Please note that you may be required to attend an interview or to provide additional information to support your CV.  

If you were initially registered through the IET and decided to transfer your registration to another institution, but now you would like to transfer your registration back to the IET, then provided your fees have been kept up to date, you may transfer your registration back to the IET with no assessment. No fee will be payable

Please familiarise yourself with how we use your data. Please note, you cannot apply for a transfer if you have been approved for professional registration for less than one year. The IET reserves the right to decline the request if you have been professionally registered with 3 or more professional engineering institutions.

I'm sure there are members in this community that have themselves changed between institutions for example after a career change into a new field.  Does anyone have any first hand experience of this?