This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CPD - Planned v Unplanned

Out of curiousity, how much of your CPD is planned, and how much of it is unplanned?

I'm going through my second attempt at gaining CEng, and have been paying particular attention to my CPD Records for the last couple of years, and putting a Plan in place for the next year(s)

However, as a fairly senior engineer, I find it increasingly difficult to put together any form of meaningful plan, and this is reflected in my CPD of the past. Most "development" is now either reactive to business needs, or responsive to invitations to speak at conferences (etc).

I'm finding it difficult to define a plan for my CPD beyond "Achieve CEng" and "Achieve FIET"

Discuss.....
  • I'd say mostly planned but not very far ahead and plans change.  I attend talks, courses and presentations but I might only find out about them a few weeks before.  Similarly the projects I'm assigned might only be decided a few weeks before.  Planning much further ahead is an exercise in futility.
  • Hi Andrew, I usually end up about 60/40.  60% planned.  This is because I have some "fixed" training to do annually for my company, and I have some ideas of personal development.  As per Stephen some is only planned a few weeks in advance as I become aware of some offerings which tie in with my requirements.

Remember, CPD does not have to be about the IET.  It is about YOUR personal development.  so for example one of hte things I am doing is learning French, as I live in a French speaking country - this is necessary for both work and life - not so much for the IET.  But it helps me to achieve further development within my company as well as developing communication skills.

• Mostly planned here.  I'm starting a PhD program and I'm involved in professional registration activities as an IPRA and in the US, working through IEEE and NCEES (roughly the Engineering Council equivalent here in the States).  I plan a little extra in the case that work goes crazy or personal issues keep me from doing activities, be it health or other things.  My biggest issue is quantifying all the activities I do.  When I was audited a few years ago, I put in the minimum amount I needed to do, not realizing that I would get suggestions on improving this.  I have to report activites not just to IET, but many additional state and provincial engineering boards.  Sounds like you are in a similar situation.
  • "Achieve CEng" is a meaningful goal but needs to be broked down into its constituent elements in order to define meaningful actions.

UKSPEC is your new best friend. Assess each competence in turn, asking "Do I have sufficient evidence of a sufficient competence level here?"

Note that I am putting the question in specific terms and NOT asking "Am I sufficiently competent?" Competence, and evidence of competence, are two distinct things. The professional registration process depends on the second one.

Once you have identified specific gaps in your evidence, your most efficient path to CEng should fall into place more easily. Specific CPD actions may then play a part in closing those gaps.

I suspect there may also be a rather homeopathic element to CPD, which is that undertaking voluntary activities (whether for solely personal benefit or something wider) may make a candidate seem attractive from the IET's point of view. However I think we would all hope, as professionals, that the evidence of competence remains the main focus of professional registration. No amount of reading E&T (etc) can compensate for a lack of evidence of competence. So my recommendation is: identify the gaps in your evidence of competence and where necessary, target your CPD to close these down. The way I see it, if you choose to prioritise professional registration, all the other CPD that you choose to undertake is merely a form of recreation.

(I am also an IET mentor, both in-company and voluntary. However I have no evidence of competence in that role! Any suggestions on how to find my first mentee?)
  • Thank you for the engaged debate on this topic.  Let me try to position the context of our CPD policy in this area.  There is no single correct answer that works for all members.  All CPD has value whether it is planned or unplanned; the point is simply that for those who are professionally active, value is created by reflecting on a regular basis whether you have any knowledge or competence gaps that need to be filled.  If the answer is that you are absolutely on the top of your game in all respects - excellent, no more to be said.

However for most of us there is often some element we can develop further and it serves a useful purpose to target some actions around that need. In the absence of anything specific, I personally find a standing objective to develop/maintain competence in each of the five UK-SPEC competence areas is a useful standing list.  As your career stage changes,the achieved ratio between planned and unplanned CPD may change, just as the ratio between the need for CPD in technical or soft/managerial skills may change.  The absolute ratio is unimportant, but the discipline that you regularly consider the need for planned CPD is key.

Dick Bacon

Manager, Professional Development

The IET
  • Hi Geoffrey 

The question that how to find your Mentee is very interesting.

First,  If the IET Mentoring Department receives any application for a Mentor (from a potential Mentee) and if he belongs to your geographical area in specific or expertise area in general, then the that Mentee may be referred to you by the IET Mentoring Department.

Second, You may create a Mentee for yourself from your company or geographical area by motivating an applicant that he or she may get IET Membership and ECUK Registration.

First mentioned method takes too much time whereas second method may give you many Mentees, in my opinion. wink

Thank you.
  • Another idea for finding mentees: is to talk to your local IET group.  most of my mentors came from either places I worked, IET events (espcially those on professional recognition, mentoring or YP events), or recommendations from fellow IET committee members.
  • @ Andrew George

Good aftertoon Andrew,

I am afraid the information relayed to you is inaccurate.

The IET criteria for CEng is as described in UK-SPEC in that Chartered Engineers develop solutions to engineering problems using new or existing technologues, through innovation, creativity and change and/or they may have technical accountability for complex systems with significant levels of risk.

Post Interview and on receiving a letter from the IET the reasons as to why you were unsuccesful should have been described to you and a PRA allocated to support you in any subsequent application.

Please feel free to send me a direct message as I would be happy to investigate this further.

• Thanks for the suggestions! I set a goal on my DAP to engage with one mentee by June. There is a clear lesson on the "R" of SMART objectives there! As Nouman pointed out, prospective mentors wait passively for a mentee to arrive through the Mentoring Department. I continue to do so.

In the past I made a deliberate effort within my company to promote registration with the IET, but it is an IMechE stronghold, my career has suffered from prejudice against the IET (some of it deserved!) and I can no longer sustain that battle. Engaging with intern students over the summer is proving to be a good fallback option.

Victoria's suggestion of talking to the local LN committee is great. I would recommend any IET member to consider getting involved with an LN or TPN. For me, it has made the membership investment valuable. There is just one caveat: career progression is about winning the trust and confidence of people who wield more power than you do. The CPD value of any activity is subjective, so think very carefully about how you present your CPD to people who hold power over you, whether that is your line manager or a professional registration panel. Back to E&T: I am (currently) fortunate that I can easily reach my 30 hours without resorting to this, and I didn't mean to be critical of people who rely on it. I may be in that situation too one day.
  • Thanks Andy, I will look into it.

Regards

Glenn