This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Introduce yourself!

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Tell everybody, who you are, what you do, who you would like to connect with and why you joined IET Professional Development, on the My Community platform - what are you hoping to get out of it?

This is a great way to learn more about others and extend your professional network.
  • I'm secretary of the Anglian Coastal LN, and currently undergoing a very belated CEng process - which could have been handled a lot better. Feels like it the the first time the IET has done one of these.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I've been on LN committee of Dorset & South Wiltshire for some time now, also on Council 2011-2014.

Just applying now for CEng, with little external stimulus and no company recognition its taken 20 years to reach this point!

Might not be a good example of best practice !

Cheers

Tim.
    Hi All,

I'm currently a Project Manager within the Communications (Telecoms) division of Atkins. I'm hoping to submit my CEng application later this year, so am currently in the process of pulling together evidence for the relevant competencies.

Advice to those starting out: Collect and document this as you - it's much easier than doing it all retrospectively!

I'm hoping to connect with anyone else going through this process who has tips about how to best structure applications or those who have recently become Chartered and can offer advice.
  • Hi,

It's good to see so many of you joining the community and looking to share your experiences.

Timothy F, thank you for sharing your experience about collating your evidence, we stronly encourage those just starting out to use Career Manager for just this purpose.  If you have any queries about the application process then don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Kathryn Bain

Senior Product Advisor (IPD and Mentoring)
  • It was the competences that stalled my paperwork for at least five years, they are phrased in the sort of corporate jargon that makes my brain freeze over. Certainly if you can work with registration in mind, it is much easier than trying to recall it retrospectively.
  • Hi,I tend to work in software and automation: design, build, modeling and project management. I'm currently completing a dissertation for a MSc in programme and project management (nine days to go!) on these subjects. I'm also an IET Mentor.
  • I'm Andrew Banks - recently awarded I.Eng. as a consolation of my failed C.Eng. application... here to get some tips to make sure that I'm successful second time around.

I'm an embedded systems/software engineer, and as such am FBCS CITP via the BCS.

I'm also a member of the MISRA C working group, which last month (March 2013) released the latest version of the flagship guidelines.
    I'm currently building up for EngTech, I think I've done most of my profile if not all, I've come to a stopping point as it's gotten a little 'heavy' for me, so haven't submitted it yet. I will be at some point though this year. I am a qualified Electrician so keeping up with that and the regs that go with it is quite a balancing act in my head. I hope to ask for help here and see what all my options are.

Oh hi!

My name is Nick....

Just went back to CPD and registered intent for EngTech, eek!
    Welcome to the community everyone!

It's great to read all your introductions on here - please keep them coming.

Best of luck to those submitting professional registration applications / awaiting interview and all the best with your dissertation Jonathan.

Let us know how you get on.

Caroline Shipp

Hi

I’m an electrical building services engineer/technical services manager, I was awarded IEng earlier this year via the work based experience route.

My advice to all prospective applicants is to contact the IET and request a Mentor. You need to ensure your application clearly demonstrates how you meet the ECUK competencies for the level of registration.

If you have the responsibilities and knowledge of a professional Engineer but lack the formal qualifications don’t be put off from applying. Your responsibilities and leadership are the critical factors.

Regards

Malcolm Atkins