This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Apprentice of the Year winner previously struggled to find employment due to dyslexia

George Steel has ascended from “rock bottom” to being awarded apprentice of the year, despite previously having to fight to gain employment due to his dyslexia.

Now George, from Weeley, has been named JTL Plumbing Apprentice of the Year at a ceremony in London’s Savoy Place at the Institute of Engineering and Technology.

George said: “I’m over the moon - it’s just unbelievable. Four years ago I was shy and quiet but now I’m completely different – I love meeting people and I’ve got the confidence to go into different people’s homes. It’s thanks to my apprenticeship I’ve become the person I am today.”

Proud mum Lisa hopes George’s accomplishments - being a fully qualified heating engineer and plumber - will encourage others to not lose faith. She said: “I had to be a pushy mum because school and college had written him off, and I would bribe him to stay at school, do his best and keep his nose clean. But he now understands dyslexia isn’t a disability or his fault, it’s something that makes him a little bit different to someone else.”

Read more at: http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/15195788.George__21__climbs_to_top_to_win_Apprentice_of_the_Year_award_proving_dyslexia_is_not_a__disability_/