This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

NYU Tandon Paper On Cyber Risks Of 3D Printing is Springer's Most-Read Engineering Research of 2016

This new technology poses some of the same dangers unearthed in the electronics industry, where trusted, partially trusted, and untrusted parties are part of a global supply chain.

That finding, along with initial recommendations for remedies, was the basis of the top-ranked paper. In it, the researchers examined two aspects of 3D printing that have cybersecurity implications: printing orientation and insertion of fine defects.

You can read the whole paper here - link.springer.com/.../s11837-016-1937-7

Let us know your thoughts?
  • Thanks for sharing Lynsay Callaghan‍, I'd never thought about the fact that 3D printers could be cyber attacked
  • And not just the printer, but the blueprint as well. The possibilities are only restrcicted by your imagination and the deviousness of an adversary.

Miss a few layers and the item is weaker than it should be; alter the specifications slightly and it does not fit, change the temperature and the material does not harden properly.........

The message has to be one of thinking holistically and protecting the whole system, not just the end point.

Tim
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    This paper (I read the abstract, would be great if the full paper could be made public at no cost) highlights a critical Industry 4.0 vulnerability, I am surprised that there is not much conversation about how ALM could be so vulnerable,

Are any colleagues active in this area?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Dear Allan, all,

Not sure what is the angle you're interested in; the cybersecurity one (mine) is about half a column at the end.

On this note, Bimingham City University is about to publish a book on Industry 4.0 where I contributed with a chapter on cybersecurity.

If of interest: vitorjesus.com/.../cybersecurity_industry_4dot0__draft.pdf

best

--v