This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How safe are Public Wifi Networks?

Hi all

I hope one of you can help me.

One of my Facebook contacts (an old classmate from school) has asked this question on his newsfeed. I vaguely remember a lecture being held at Savoy Place (pre-refurb times) in which a speaker gave a rather apt demonstration by, before the delegates arrived, setting up his own 'public' wifi hotspot. During the lecture he displayed on screen the contents of a private email and the browsing history of someone in the room who had connected to his hotspot. 

I can't remember who the speaker was but I do remember watching a video of it. I'd like to be able to forward a link to it to my friend.

Does anyone recall such an event? I think it was at the IET but I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks in anticip.......ation. wink

Lisa
  • Lisa,

Cannot help on IET talk, but went to a EEMUA Cyber Security Seminar last week, and a speaker (from Sophos) said that public WIFi Hot spots are EXTREMELY easy to spoof & to set up piggy in the middle site that will capture anything you look at.  You will not know this is happening.  It could be someone sitting on the next table that's carrying the fake hot spot.

So the answer, in very unsafe.

Personally I do not trust any wifi / wireless communications system.  None at home, only use physical wires.

Guy,

• Hi Guy

Yes that's exactly what the speaker was saying in the video I saw. He set up a hot spot and called it BT wifi or something like that. Many in the audience had connected to it and the speaker was able to show them all of the traffic that had gone through it too including browsing history, unencrypted emails and I think a password that someone had used to access a personal web account. It really made me think and since then I've never connected to a  free and open public wifi spot. blush

I'd love to be able to find the video again as it really opened my eyes and as I said before, I'd like to share the video with others too.

However, if anyone comes across or knows of another filmed lecture either by the IET or from another source (YouTube or TED talk etc) please feel free to share it here either by sharing the link in this discussion or by uploading or embedding it into the video gallery in this community 

Thanks again for any assistance! 

Lisa
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The wifi pineapple is quite a good bit of kit, not any legitamate used apart from in authorised penetration testing and demo's.

www.youtube.com/.../IdhuX4BEK6s A video on how it works.

It is quite straight forward to spoof the wifi AP and listen for requests for "Saved" networks on devices and automatically spoof these networks for devices to reconnect.