This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

"Everything is Under Control" - Perceptions of Cyber Security within the Organisation

At the Black Hat 2015 Conference the keynote speaker, Haroon Meer, gave a powerful presentation entitled ‘What Got Us Here Won’t Get Us There’. (https://vimeo.com/147743404).

As part of my studies I will be writing an Academic Essay on some of the key areas highlighted in the keynote speech, though this will be grounded in academic, peer-reviewed literature, I feel it is a good debate to raise (my 1st time on IET Communities).  So here goes.

I have selected the title as comments made within the speech, supported by findings in other areas of study, may show a disparity of understanding in the Organisation.  Haroon discusses that ofeten, the perception of Cyber Security at Board Level is one of "Everything is Under Control" .  That however may not be the case.  I have seen cases where employees tell their superior what they think they want them to hear, opposed to truths.  In addition any conflicts between Chief Security Information Officers (CSIO), their team and external consultants will be kept out of sight of "command".

So the question for debate maybe; Is there differing perceptions of Cyber Security within an organisation?  Do all parties agree on what "Cyber Security" actually means? and are the benefits of Cyber Security (and risks of failing) fully understood by ALL stakeholders?

As I find interesting literature I will add it in due course.

Look forward to conversing.

Aaron