This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Hertfordshire Engineers Luncheon Club

If you live in the Herts & Beds area you may be interested in joining the Hertfordshire Engineers Luncheon Club - check them out by clicking here ...
  • They've a very interesting schedule, can they move Herts a bit nearer please?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Dear All,

​The interpretation of 'nearer' depends upon where you are.  If it  means Central London it may of interest to consider attending the Lunch and Lecture events held on the last Friday of most months in Savoy Place.   Lectures are free and the lunch costs £16.

There are copies of a folded programme leaflet covering 30th September 2016 to 30th June 2017 stacked up on the small shelf allocated to the London Network on Level 2 of Savoy Place (note that we are now forbidden to put these leaflets on the tables and other surfaces on Level 2 so not many people find them in the small shelf).   The events are normally listed on the IET events website entries, and we do our best to spread the infornation elsewhere.

​It is necessary to register in advance for the lunches, and preferable to register in advance for the lectures.

Tony Davies

2016 Aug 24th

• In my case to Norwich. The Jutland talk is very tempting, although an evening event would be easier for me. I'm considering combining "Secret Siberia" with Cambridge's "Airlander" talk on the same day, as a birthday treat to myself! I would try to poach their speakers for our region but I'm not prepared to risk the mediocre audience figures we often suffer.
  • I've accessed the site with Firefox, Chrome and Safari, I didn't see this issue.

• Hi,

I did not send this original email so I am not sure what is going
    on?

Ian M Terrell CEng MIET
  • Hello,

I am the Chairman of HELC, the Hetfordshire Engineers' Luncheon Club, my HELC email address is Chairman@helc.org.uk.  I am also the webmaster for our website HELC.org.uk and have tested it on Chrome, Firefox and Vivaldi (on my PC) and (Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox, Internet, Maxthon, Opera and Pale Moon on my Android Tablet). Apart from some small formating problems on some zoom settings on some sites, I was unaware of any other problems.

The only other comment I can make is that the site was originally set up on JustHosts in USA - we had problems with the email forwarding service and had difficulty sorting them out, so decided to transfer to 123-Reg who are based in the UK and we can talk to them if we have problems. The transfer process was carried out properly and a full site upload has been done, so I see no reason why there should be any problems.  We do not use cookies and the site is not https (which Google may not be happy about) as that was not considered necessary.

Please advise me directly about any problems with www.helc.org.uk (and how to sort them if you know how). Many thanks.

HELC is open to professional engineers and scientists from Hertfordshire and surrounding districts. People from further afield are not excluded, in fact they are very welcome but may find it too far to travel.

If you would like to come to an event for the occasional event, or just to try us out before joining, I would be pleased to welcome you as my paying guest: please email me at Chairman@helc.org.uk and I will send you a lunch booking form.  If you would like to join please view www.helc.org.uk/joinus.html to download Information and Application forms, or contact our Membership Secretary (details on same page).

Thanks and best wishes.

Ian williamson.
  • Hi 

i must admit this is the first I have heard of this group even though I live in Hertfordshire.  I did however pick up on your point about HTTPS. There is a growing amount of support that I fully support which says ALL website sites should move to a secure connection ana as the IET I think we should really be leading the way in this.

There are now a number of ways that you can even obtain free SSL cetficates and which can be automatically renewed.

Thanks

Nick