This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Philippines???

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hi, just as a brief intro, I'm a UK expat working in Qatar, with family in the Philippines. Also amongst other things a soon to be retired EMEA-CC member.

On my last trip to Mindanao I was approached by a Niece who goes to one of the local universities for assistance in a industrial visit. Helping her was a no-brainer but then the gears in the brain slowly started turning!

What can the IET do to help support young professionals in such an empoverished area, especially as there is no LN in the Philippines according to the UK?

In other countries we've been keen on supporting students by way of student chapters...has this been considered in your region.

Sorry about poking my nose in on another CC, maybe when I retire permanently to Philippines I can give you guys some support there  but not quite yet.

Merry Xmas and a happy new year

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    and the result was????
  • Hi William,

Good day. 

I suppose for a start, we will need to request and check whether there are IET members in The Philippines, and if so, if he/she is willing to volunteer/or be our main contact person there.

Of course setting up a LN will be even better, as we are able to spread the IET vision and mission more effectively.(Maybe when you retire there?)

I suppose industrial visits are part of every engineering schools. If your niece's university hasn't have any engineering club or society, why not try setting up one, for the benefits of other students, and also future engineering students that will enroll?

In IET Malaysia and Hong Kong, we have active student chapters and would surely share the how we organize activities and events in this part of the world.

Please advice.

Merry Christmas and happy new year

Thanks and regards

Weeser

YP Rep - CC-AP

Thank you for the full brief, at present my visits to Minadao are quite brief while I sort out wedding and visas with aview to havving my wife and family here in Qatar, Once I retire, maybe 3 years time, I will be relocating to the Philippines, probably Davao and will be happy to assist in any way I can as a retired member. In the mean time my next short visit is scheduled for 14th Feb at which time I can plant the seed, and see how it develops.

Who's your YP member on the CC so that I can put them in contact if need be?

Happy gregorian new year...

• Hi William,

Thank you for the initiatives. 

Basically there are 2 YP members at CC-AP- David Yiu from Hong Kong, and myself from Malaysia. So far, there isn't anyone from the Philippines.

I suppose we could request our Communities Manager, - Miss Winnie Lee, who is based in Hong Kong to go thru the data base, to see if there are any IET members in Davao, or The Philippines for that matter?

Can I have your email address sir?

Thanks and regards

Weeser
    email addresses, personal - btate1956@gmail.com or business - bill.tate@ch2m.com

The UK may be able to assist regarding any members in the Philippines,the problem will be those who are listed as there but may be working overseas, such as myself.

The other problem will be membership payments in basically a cash based society. this is something the EMEA-CC has been pushing the UK with regards making payment easiier in areas where credit cards are not the norm.

Many thanks

Bill

• Hi William,

So, I suppose, the first step would be to check for anyone there.

I've sent an email to our Community Communiciations Manager in Hong Kong, Miss Winnie Lee. I think she'll be the best person to advice.

Let's keep in touch Bill.

Thanks and regards

Weeser
    Many thanks for taking this up, my next planned visit is in the 2nd week of February, but will be commuting between Mindanao and Cebu sorting visas for my family to travel to the UK.

While there I can be contacted on 0915 830 6326 which is my mobile in the Philippines.

Regarding membership details if Miss Winnie doesn't have the information I'm sure I can get from the IET UK.

Best regards and many thanks, Bill

• Hi I am a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management, but more importantly I am a Fellow of the IET and the Institute of Measurement and Control as an ex pat in the Philippines (Oriental Mindoro). I have a lot of contacts with registered engineers here mainly in the building services electrical and civils.

However I am also a Membership stage 2 Moderator and stage 4 Registrar along with a technical report Assessor (all remote), Professional Review Interviewer and a Fellowship Assessor. I have conducted PRIs in Manila for the iET. I am very proud to be a UK Registerd Engineer.

​I have similar duties with the InstMC along with being on the Membership Committee and Council, graduate training scheme Accreditation Assessor and .academic accreditation.

​​The reason I mention this is that I have for several years tried to get an interest in professional membership of an UK Institution in achieving international engineering recognition and qualification.

I am semi retired here (I couldn't possible work full time with that much peripheral activities above!). I am keen to promote links with such technical universities and colleges here and promote the aforementioned avantages of Chartered, Incorporated, Engineering Technician, IT Technician.

​We have seen the European ex pats displaced in the middle east with indians, pakistani and of course filipinos with ever increasing qualifications but yet to be internationally accepted as the grades above.

​I have carried ot PRI's in Malaysia, Brunei, Hong Kong (PRI) for Graduate scheme accreditations and technical report reviews in most of the region.

​I am looking for other professional Engineers in the Philippines to either form a sub group or at least a meeting of same minds where through networking we could share contacts, views and such schemes in place of particular interest. For instance the Shell ECO challenge is currently being held in Manila which brings together many students at technical establishments in Asian countries competing in hi-tech areas of engineering.

​But I must add all my activities are self funded except for official work which is done on an ad hoc out of pocket expenses basis. Any recognition, through funds et al, by the institutions in encouraging local engineering students to apply for membership would be warmly welcomed.

​I have already introduced two local registered engineers here (Eng) to  the IET forums which they are enthusiastically following in Building services electrical and especially the Electrical Inspection and testing routines along with the 17th Edition Installations. Small beginnings but I am sure if I pushed it I could get more.

​Anyone out there in the Philippines who may be interested in firstly making contact for an exchange of ideas please make contact direct. I am not sure if this is allowed on this forum so in the interim reply to this posting please.

Kind regards: Gareth Bingham
  • Great to hear of your interest to contribute to IET as a volunteer. It will be beneficial to those in the Philippines. I am sure CCAP will be keen to assist in whatever way possible. In the first place we need to find out members who are currently residing in the Phillipines.

Chris Chew
    Hi Gareth, I'm certain we've jointly carried out some stage 2 reviews together!

My home base is in North Cotabato but most of my time I'm working in Qatar as a yet to be displaced UK expat.

Normally I only pass through Manila airport but do expect to be there for a few days toward the middle of the year.

From my time on the EMEA-CC the PATW competition was always a good starting point for the Universities maybe the AP-CC can assit you there.

Feel free to keep in touch