This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Engineering Opportunities in Canada

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Please take a look at this post.  It seems pretty disappointing for those of us that encourage young people to join the profession.  Are we misleading people or are we being misled ourselves.

www.cbc.ca/.../millennial-jobs-education-1.4009295

Edwin,

Member of Council,

Ottawa LN.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Andrew,

Good to see some comments on my post.  It is very hard to get accurate stats on engineering employment.  I will not be attending the event in Orlando.  Several of my Ottawa LN associates will be attending to represent the Ottawa LN.  I am still a Council member and I will be attending the next Council meeting at Savoy Place in October.  So we try to spread the connectivity with the various IET committees and groups around.

Will you be attending?  If so, please take a few moments to connect with Bhagvat and Gareth, we have an active committee and are always pleased to work with other IET Members.

Cheers,

Edwin
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Andrew, nice to meet you and I look forward to the opportunity of discussing our approaches in Ottawa. This item generated by Ontario Society of Professional Engineers (OSPE) is good background reading  https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents/presentations/crisis-canada-engineering-labour-market.pdf  and received good general media coverage.

The charts say it all, we may be training great engineers, but part of the issue is that we are not building business fast enough to accommodate or attract them. I did also see the article you provided and was as dismayed as you. I suspect this issue is not just limited to Canada.

I recently had a masters graduate come to me to provide assistance at no cost, such that he could get experience on his resume! That's how desperate this generation is becoming.  But we do seem to be educating the younger generation to become career engineers for industries that are long gone, rather than be self-sufficient entrepreneurs. Locally we are trying to address that issue at a more grass roots level but the IET may have to take a more radical approach in the future to address these challenges. I can certainly brief you on how the Professional Engineers of Ontario are dealing with this issue in Ottawa.

Regards

Gareth Wood

• Andrew

Look forward to meeting with you in Orlando.

Bhagvat Joshi

CC-A Member

Ottawa LN Committee

Past Council Member