This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

IET Members and BREXIT

As the crunch date in March approaches, I can only express a degree of surprise that it appears to me that the IET has not considered it necessary to give any advice to the one thousand (in round figures) IET Members in the European Union countries outside the UK. As a "Professional Home for Life", shouldn't it be taking an interest in its Members' situation?

At the very least, the attention of IET Members in France should be drawn to the website of the British Community Committee where they will find some good advice:
http://www.britishinfrance.com/

Of course, if all these people have already acquired a French passport then there is no need but, somehow, I doubt it.

As an addendum, I have just noticed that those who are living in France on a UK pension have suffered from the Sterling devaluation of no less than 25% over the last three and a half years. That's not nice by any standard.
  • Michael (and many others)

I thin k the lack of supporting information is quite right, until the IET has a positive outcome from HMG on which to base advice then none is better than wrong advice. I am sure that there are people working hard at Stevenage Towers to try and maintain an up to date view on the current and emerging situation. I think that your link to the web site provides a good advice to those who feel that they need some positive action before HMG arrives at its conclusion. I am sure that following news lately you can see that it is almost impossible to predict what the outcome is going to be. As you also indicate many of the 'ex-Pats' working across the current EU are also worried, but many may well have already taken advice and are following up on it.

Meilleurs vœux.

Franck

La Rochelle

• Mike's right, the impact on UK pensions in Europe has not been "nice".  Nor has the impact on life savings.

I cannot agree with Frank that the lack of supporting information is "right".  It's true that no-one knows what's going to happen, least of all perhaps those in government, but that does not mean that no advice can be given.  The French government, for example, have recommended that Brits in France apply for a carte de sejour in the expectation that, whatever happens, this will help.

I would like to think Frank is right when he says: "I am sure that there are people working hard at Stevenage Towers to try and maintain an up to date view on the current and emerging situation".  My experience suggests that this is a rather optimistic view.

Where I would have thought the IET would have been active is in areas like the mutual recognition of qualifications after Brexit.  That was difficult enough while the UK was in Europe, it's going to be a struggle after the UK leaves.  But perhaps this is being left to the CEI?

It would also have been encouraging to see the IET taking a position on UK engineers in Europe and making representations to government in the hope of ensuring favourable terms for them.  I know of no such action.

Keith

• Dear All

As an update to Michael's original link for information, perhaps the following site may be of use to all?

https://www.remaininfrance.org/carte-de-sejour.html#

Kind regards.

Franck
  • I think that the vital message is not to leave things until March 29th. In the worst case scenario, Brits will cease to be EU citizens and won't be entitled to the fast-track route for a Carte de Séjour (or its local equivalent) as from March 30th. The spectre that looms is the "reciprocity issue". Several countries have said that they will treat Brits as before but I think this is more often than not conditional on the UK treating EU citizens kindly. That aspect seems to have fallen by the wayside in the current debates.

As I see it, the IET should have encouraged every Member living in an EU country outside the UK, whether of British nationality or not (since the IET doesn't collect this information), to at least consult the British Embassy web site in their country of residence. The nitty-gritty detail varies country by country.
    https://www.gov.uk/uk-nationals-living-eu

The French government has set up a special site:
    https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil.html

This thread has been aired for a couple of days now but I don't see any staff or Local Network reaction.