This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Airlander 10: World's longest aircraft to go into production and offer 'luxury expeditions'

The aircraft - which had a prototype dubbed the "flying bum" - hopes to take its first paying passengers in the early 2020s.

Great to see the press article below.

I have a list of aircraft that I'd like to fly on:
  • Concorde - sadly never to be realised, unless I settle for a static experience at Manchester Airport Viewing Park!

• Short Sunderland Flying Boat - is there one still flying?  There is a Sandringham flying boat in the excellent Solent Sky Museum in Southampton.

• Flying boat of any kind - if the above is no longer possible and at least I know there are lots of these in operation, although surely not as glamorous as  a Sunderland?

• Airship - with the recent announcement that Hybrid Air Vehicles are going into production with the Airlander 10 now being designed to offer luxury expeditions, perhaps that could be a reality, although there's no news yet on the ticket prices.  Might have to start saving now for several years time! 

I was just wondering what interesting aircraft other community members might have flown in?  Please share your experiences here.

• The most interesting plane I have flown in (albeit briefly) was a de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver float plane in Vancouver.   A top experience and I enjoyed sitting next to the pilot.

Rob McDonald
  • Hi Rob

Thanks for your post below. I'm aware that type of transport is popular in Canada and the great Lakes in the states.  Hopefully I will get to experience it for myself in the future.

Kind regards

Deborah
  • Hi Deborah

Just to make you jealous, I have flown on:
    • an Air France Concorde - Paris CDG to Glasgow. 

• a couple of flying boats (Grumman Mallard and Widgeon) - sadly there are no currently airworthy Sunderlands

• a couple of airships - one in Florida, and the Zeppelin NT at Friedrichshafen by Lake Constance, which is still easily achievable and very spectacular.  

All very enjoyable.  I have flown in quite a few interesting aircraft, probably the most exotic being the Dassault Mercure.  

Dave
  • Hi Dave

Thanks for responding to the forum, thats an impressive range of aircraft you've flown on.

When I was a member of the Royal Observer Corps I did once get an air experience flight on a Hercules out of RAF Lyneham and was quite pleased that out of the group of 8 corps members I was one of the two people who managed not to be sick during the flight which as it was a training flight, mainly consisted of circuits and bumps!

I've also flown on an Ilyushin 62 many years ago. I won't mention the airline but had a weird experience when I went to sleep and woke up to find the cabin full of mist and rather cold.  

• That's two impressive types I don't have!  

Dave
  • We were offered the choice of the Hercules or the VC-10 for our air experience flights.  I thought the Hercules would be more interesting, which it certainly was, I don't think they did circuits and bumps in the airliner!  I've always like the take-off and landings and when the aircraft turns and the wings tip up.
  • Today in 1970, the Boeing 747 entered commercial service with Pan American Airways and made its maiden flight from JFK New York to London Heathrow Airport.

Thats another aircraft that has so far alluded me in terms of being a passenger, as when I've made transatlantic flights its been in a Boeing 757 or 767.  Hopefully I'll manage to fly in a 747 before they are taken out of service.