This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Entering nuclear / mid-life career change

Hi,

I've been an engineer in the food manufacturing industry a number of years (with stints in cabling and variable speed drives).

I took the plunge a number of years ago and achieved a 2.1 BEng Hons with the OU (also EngTech MIET). This was to future-proof myself and hopefully step up my career.

As I only live few miles away from Sizewell I thought that with the new-build and current operations of "B" going into nuclear would be a good move.

Unfortunately I'm stumbling at every step.

1. Ask advice from EDF - "Keep looking at our careers page"

2. When looking at roles, they are either for graduates, or people currently in the industry with 5+ years of experience.

3. Recently asked at a consultation meeting for the potential new-build at Sizewell about opportunities - no real answers about how to enter the industry.

So, it seems that a move at my time in life is a difficult, if not impossible prospect. When I have years of experience behind me and so much more to offer in the future I feel defeated at every step.

Any ideas on how I might move forward?

Ian.
  • Sorry, I have no experience in the nuclear industry.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Ian

I heard a few months ago that Munro in Chelmsford have something to do with Sizewell. They are an M&E company. Worth contacting maybe?

Best of luck in your search. 

Rob
  • Sorry,

I’ve no experience in the nuclear industry.

Chris
  • Thanks Robert. I've contacted Munro via their webpage, asking for advice.

Ian.