This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

STEM discussion

Following a fruitful STEM discussion on Thursday 22nd September, this online discussion thread has been created in order to continue the debate and generation of ideas.

1. What sort of STEM networking event would suit people best: is it just for STEM ambassadors, or teachers or parents or some mix of these (an idea of geography would be good)?

2. What issues are STEM ambassadors currently facing?
  • Joe, I favour a simple 3-pronged approach to routine networking events for our STEM delivery community:
    • compare recent engagent experiences

• communicate - discuss adn prepare possibilities moving forward

• commit (as individuals) to at least one specific engagement

... and repeat, say, once an academic term, or something similar.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Everyone

I am attached to the Central South England STEM Hub. I signed up as a STEM Ambassador at the beginning of 2018.

I recently completed my first STEM activity, a speed networking event that was part of the Big Bang Career Day at Richard Taunton Sixth Form College, Southampton.

It was great to meet the eleven other STEM Ambassadors who represented the Royal Navy, Civil Engineering, Chemical Process Engineering, Astronomy, Aerospace and Automation (Me).

We had three 45 minute speed networking sessions with a good mix of male and female students aged between 14 - 16. The students came from 8 different schools from across Hampshire.

Having introduced myself and my role, the first question I posed was “What do you think an Automation Engineer does in their day to day role?”

Mostly, the students had little awareness of the role of  an Automation Engineer and the part they play in the modern world. Interestingly the association of Automation was firmly coupled with ‘Cars’.

Questions from attendees centred on:
    • How did I become an Automation Engineer?

• What academic route did I take in to engineering?

• What current application do I apply my skills to?

• What other applications have I applied my skills to?

• Where do you even start to automate something?

• What documents do you write when you design something?

It was a really positive experience with lots of engagement with the students and some of their teachers.

On a slightly different topic, I also completed the STEM Ambassador Training Program - 
    Inspiring Young People In STEM which comprises of four 2 week online courses.

If you are wondering where to begin with your STEM volunteering, thats the place to start. The courses walk you through resources you can use, activity planning, effective communication techniques, activity execution and feedback for improvement.

It's invaluable and I would strongly encourage STEM Ambassadors to slowly make their way through the program content.

• Timothy

Thank you for your post. I have pointed our new Schools Liaison Officers to it in case they haven't yet seen it...

Sorry for the delay - I have just returned from leave.

Joe

IET Solent Chair