This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Glasgow Teacher Building to close

Stumbled upon this today, whilst searching for other news:
https://www.theiet.org/membership/member-news/47a/teacher-building-2018.cfm

Bit dissapointing to see that the only IET venue in Scotland is closing before they have found a suitable alternative?

Seems rushed and cost based to me, appreciate that perhaps the upkeep vs use is not economically viable, however we pay the same fees as everyone else so what are we getting in return?

Savoy place is a cutting edge building, clearly a lot is spent on its upkeep and advancement, but us poor souls all the way up here in Scotland hardly benefit from this at all.

Its one thing that a single building located in the central belt covers the whole of Scotland but another to close it before an alternative is found?

Have the London contingent forgotten us?  Perhaps we should vote for independance from our Savoy Place masters?!! laugh

With this and the recent decision to close the email alias service, it seems another benefit being lost to members.

Graeme

• I should also say that instead of closing the building because "its reaching the end of its useful life" that perhaps it would see more use by encouraging and promoting events being held there?

From Aberdeen it is a bit of a pain to travel to a course held there, worse for people travelling from further North!  But I'd rather this than having to travel to Manchester or London if there is no local alternative, the reality being that members will probably end up attending less IET courses and events as a result.

Just smacks of cost reduction, will we see a reduction in our fees also?

Graeme
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for your thoughts Graeme, There was a flurry of posts on this subject several months ago on MyCom. Surprised yours isn't linked to them. Worth seeing if you can find the thread?
  • Hi Jack,  where can I find this thread?

Is it on IET discussion boards or an external website?

Graeme
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Graeme,

The thread is on IET Scotland North - last post I can see being mine on 2nd July 2017 - so now an 'old' story. Still worth reviewing the comments/objections/etc., to gauge the strength of feeling.

Jack