This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are You CPD Ready For 2017?

Many of us complete CPD without even realising we are doing so. The new piece of software you used, the seminar you attended or the article you read are all forms of CPD when relevant to your career. With this is mind completing the required annual amount of 30 hours is easily attainable. 

Find out more.
  • I think many retired members wonder if a CPD needs to be completed to maintain registration.  Thirty hours is doable for me as an SSE Network member I am also working towards a full Amatuer Radio Licence and take part in the Model Electronic Railway group all adding to knowledge. Occasionally working as an IT contract technician installing systems. I feel that should be enough to maintain my Eng.Tech registration.
  • "In October 2013, The Engineering Council announced an aspiration that by January 2017 all Professional Engineering Institutions will have introduced a Policy of random reviewing of Professionally Active Registrants’ CPD Returns. The IET’s Board of Trustees have now agreed that we should meet this aspiration, extending it as a benefit to all IET Members.

As a Member you have already committed to keeping your knowledge and skills up-to-date through planned professional development, as explained in the  IET Rules of Conduct:. The only change, therefore, is that from January 2017, you may be chosen to have your previous year’s records reviewed."

The above had been extracted from IET website.

Chris Chew
  • Hi  Neil

The CPD info can be found here.

As Chris states, this has been introduced by the Engineering Council (UK) and we recommend a minimum of 30 hours CPD for professionally active members and PRA volunteers.  This is not really a new thing as maintenance and development of professional knowledge has been written into the Rules of Conduct for over 40 years; the only change is the monitoring of some records.  

There are lots of areas you probably already cover that count as CPD:

If you read an article in E&T magazine, watch a relevant programme on IET.tv or mainstream television, attend a lecture or seminar or give up your time to help young engineers develop, you are undertaking CPD.

The IET categorise CPD activities in to six main categories:

• Training courses;

• Work experience;

• Academic study;

• Volunteering;

• Events and seminars;

• Self-study.

I hope this helps, but if you want to expand your CPD into event or volunteering, you could look at the SSE page for some inspiration.

Thanks

Lynsay