This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

New to Australia from the UK

Hi Everyone,

I have recently moved to Adelaide from the UK. I am Systems Engineer and have attained CEng from the IET quite a few years ago. 

I am interested to hear peoples advice and views regarding:

1. What is the general view regarding CEng in Australia, is it valued.

2. Does have CEng from the UK mean that I am CEng in Australia, or do I need to transfer, do anything.

3. Are there any lessons learned from people who may have completed a similar move to me?

Hopefully, meet some of you in work or at events.

Kind regards,

Brian
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Brian,

Welcome to Australia. Firstly I would advise you contact your South Australia/ Northern Territory Local Network, and from there seek out their International Professional Registration Advisor (IPRA), who can guide you through CEng and how it relates to CPEng, RPEng, as well as other 'private club' titles that you may or may not wish to attain.

I would let your employer guide you on the matter whether it is important or not. I am assuming you shall be working in the defence industry based on your new location and title, and having no experience in that sector I am unable to give an educated answer.

In terms of legislation, it is only important if you shall be doing work in Queensland, or for Queensland (e.g. a piece of equipment is engineered in South Australia for use in Queensland). This is as per the Professional Engineers Act 2002 - Queensland Legislation. I am based in Queensland and hence have a Registered Professional Engineer Queensland title (RPEQ - government qualification), which in turn was obtained by being a CPEng - which is the Engineers Australia 'private club 'title.

There has been talk for some time for a nation wide approach that mirrors Queensland, but this is yet to come to fruition.

I hope I've been of assistance.

Cheers

Jun