This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

You'll either love it or hate it!

1ca1e2a53b2ea899fb50d85b839e90aa-huge-eccles-cake-burger.jpgScotland may be reknown for its deep fried Mars Bar delicacy (I've never tried it so can't attest to what it tastes like), but wait for it ... coming to Greater Manchester this summer is the first outdoor BBQ restaurant introducing the Eccles Cake Burger.  From the image I've included here, it looks like we're in for a burger with bacon and cheese sandwiched between two Eccles Cakes, although I'm sure there will be other additional ingredients to tantalise the tastebuds if you like that sort of thing. 

I'm not sure about this, I know there's an enthusiasm with chefs these days to marry the savoury and the sweet together, but Eccles Cakes and Burgers, is that a step too far?  I like my savouries and will always choose a starter over a dessert, but like to keep the two choices separate in any dining experience. 

What's your views on this?  Perhaps it would go down with a nice long glass of chilled Vimto our other regional delicacy in Manchester?

If you are feeling brave, then you'll have to go to Hollinwood in Oldham to try it.
  • Sound revolting Deborah-Claire McKenzie‍ - I'm interested to hear what others think though!

• This looks to be as divisive as pineapple on pizza and strawberries with balsamic vinegar.
  • Strawberries with balsamic vinegar are not too bad though, the acidity of the vinegar can balance out quite nicely the sweetness of the strawberries.  With the Eccles cake burger there will be the rich flaky pastry of the eccles cake and the dried fruit, with the meat and cheese of the burger.  I know its usual to have carbs with a burger via the bun, so perhaps for some folk the pastry of the eccles cake will be a suitable replacement.  I guess the only way I'll know will be to head up to Oldham in the summer and be brave enough to try one for myself.